Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Heaven Looks So Good

I can hardly believe it's our last day in Georgia. Tomorrow, we'll hop in our (very loaded) car and begin our trek to Oregon. It's exciting, but it's also sad. Really, really sad. I am starting to realize that I'm not going to see many of my friends for the next four years. It hit me last night that I'm leaving the first home I've ever lived in with my husband, saying good-byes to precious people, and I started crying my eyes out. It's hard. Really, really hard.

It makes Heaven look so good.


We packed up our car yesterday, trying to cram everything we need into our little Honda Accord. I felt kind of like the pioneers who were the first to head to Oregon hundreds of years ago. There's so little space for everything you want to take, things that feel precious and valuable. And there's so much that has to be left behind, given away, thrown out. It's hard. Really, really hard.

I had to wrestle with God today. "It's not fair that I can't take all this stuff! What about that pot, or that cozy blanket, or that picture that my little sister drew by hand for my birthday. I feel like I have to give up so much already. Do I really have to do this?"

And God asked me, "Are you willing to surrender to me, Ashlyn? Really? Am I worth it to you? This is just stuff. What you're going to do, where you're going to live... it's so much more worth it!"

And then it hit me... all this giving up... it's really gaining. What I lack here on earth in material things, God will provide. What I have to give up, it's really allowing me to be more free. To not be so tied down to this world. To experience God more fully.

Really, it makes Heaven look so good.

I am so excited for Heaven. I can't wait for the day when I don't have to say good-bye. When I can see the fruits of all the sacrifices I have had to made. When I can live forever with the One who loves me unconditionally. Who will never leave nor forsake me, no matter what comes my way.

It will be so worth it. So, so worth it.

Heaven looks SO good!

No comments:

Post a Comment