Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ministry Life

"Did you know that Satan has a brother?"

I was pretty stumped. Rapidly, I searched my brain for an answer. "Um, no I didn’t," I replied carefully. "Where’d you hear that?"

Not noticing my obvious discomfort, the fifteen-year-old rattled off a lengthy description of the supposed character from Native American legends that left my head spinning. How anyone could come up with such a crazy story? And he claimed he heard it from a pastor? There was a brief pause as I scrambled to get my thoughts together and come up with an intellectual reply to his slightly humorous (and false) story. But, as I looked at this kid, Byron, a hurting boy who had been placed at Green Gables Boys Home, tears suddenly filled my eyes. Who was I to judge his ideas as crazy? Byron had never had anyone who loved him enough to teach him the truth.

Byron is just one of several boys at Green Gables. Most of them are from troubled families, and all of them are still unsaved. For my community outreach ministry, I am privileged to go with a small team of seven people from MTC to work with the boys twice each week. On Sundays, we share a Bible lesson in a chronological format and discuss it with them. We talked about Creation this last Sunday, and the boys really got into the story. They were pulling out some things that I hadn't even seen before! On Thursdays, we spend time getting to know the boys, teaching them skills, and working on projects with them. This last Thursday, we worked on car maintenance with the boys. That was fun, and I actually learned quite a bit! :-)

I’m so excited to be able to share the love of Christ (and the truth of who God is) with these guys! Please be praying that they will be responsive to God's Word as we continue to teach them over this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment