Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I've survived 2 months!

I feel like I haven't posted in forever, and, in fact, I haven't. So, what's been happening since I last wrote? A lot. We finished several classes in the past few weeks, which gives one a sense of accomplishment (however small it may be). The classes we finished are Child Protection (one of the hardest classes I have ever taken in my life, not because of the work, but because of the content), Love and Respect (a marriage class which I think I have mentioned before), and a class on Stewardship (making the most of our time since it is so short).

So what's going on right now?
  • Foundational Bible Teaching = We are working on student teaching right now. Our class of 47 has been divided into a bunch of smaller groups. We are all taking turns teaching through chronological Bible lessons. In total, there are 70 lessons, so the teachers had to condense the material into 27 lessons for us to practice. I get to teach tomorrow (Wednesday). My group is going from the Israelites entering Canaan through Solomon building the temple. That will be a LOT of material!
  • Form and Meaning = We just started this class yesterday, and it is about Bible Translation. We are going to be learning how the form and meaning of Bible passages is crucial to understand when translating the Bible into another language (which is something that most of us will have a part in at some point on the field). This class will last through next week, and I'm pretty excited about it!
Some fun events we've been doing:
  • Last Monday, our pastor and his wife, who are also our E-linc leaders, took my friend Rachel and me (the two of us are known around campus as "the twins" or "sisters") shooting with guns out on the shooting range. It was a lot of fun! We ended up shooting a 22 rifle, a 20-gauge shotgun, and a 40mm Glock. Super fun!
  • We've been playing a lot of awesome fun sports weekly, including volleyball, Ultimate Frisbee, and soccer.
  • The leaves are changing colors here, and it's really beautiful! We went up to Ha Ha Tonka state park again this last weekend, and it was awesome to walk through the woods with the colors. I'll post pics ASAP!
It's hard to believe it's been two months since I was last home. I am loving being here!

Please pray for rest and strength as I am starting to get a bit run down with all the activities we are doing. I know God is in control, but being here sometimes feels overwhelming since there is so much information and we are constantly with other people. There are some personality tensions going on as well, so if you could pray that God would give us love and wisdom to deal with situations as they arise, that would be awesome!

Thank you all for your love and prayers! Missing you!

1 comment:

  1. Ashlyn, So good to read the latest blog post. Of course I am praying for you anyway but I will add the getting rest and the personality conflicts! Try to steal away and take a nap! The tensions are something that are everywhere. Remember to keep your gaze on God! Love and miss you alot! Mrs. Debbie

    ReplyDelete