Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I'm Back (and other thoughts)

From the title, you can see that I'm back from my twelve days of disappearing. They were very fun days, especially because I had no idea that all sorts of things were happening in the world, such as the government shutting down. It's actually really funny how much happens when you can't check the internet. How in the world did people survive before they had the internet???

Ok so really, it wasn't that big of a deal.

It was actually a really sweet and amazing time. I got to spend my evenings around campfires or in my house with candles. It was so peaceful. I did a lot of singing and playing guitar in my house, which was fun and relaxing. And I got extra time to read (or listen to Clint reading).

I was struck by how simple and sweet life can be without things like internet, electricity, and sometimes even water. Yes, it's more difficult at times and can add a bit more stress to life in some ways. But it does something to the human soul. I think it's how we were created to be. We were created for nature, beauty, and a relationship with God. But so often, everything else clouds our view, and we don't see all that. We often can't even look at the stars at night without street lights getting in the way.

I got to see the stars again this weekend without any street lights around. And they were beautiful. So, so beautiful.

Oh, the things we miss when we let life choke out God! I know I've done that recently. I've let myself get so busy that I don't have time to think. Time to just be alone with God. Time to process things I'm dealing with. I miss that time.

To go along with my thoughts, here are a few quotes from the past few days of classes:

"We are bloated when it comes to biblical resources and atrophied when it comes to authenticity."

"I’m convinced that we don’t need to know more. We need to start living what we know."

"If God fits into our worldview, then we are god, not Him." 

I don't ever want to let God fit into my worldview, thinking that I have Him all figured out and I don't need to spend time with Him. I want to be awed by Him every day.

Ok, so I guess I've done a lot of thinking over the past two weeks. It's been good. And I pray that God will continue to teach me through my final two months of training here.


P.S. I'll be putting up some pictures from the past two weeks really soon! We did some really fun stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment