Monday, July 15, 2013

The Better Thing

I kind of feel like Martha right now. You know the drill. All of a sudden, a million things slam into the windshield of your life, and you're scrambling to clean all of them off and re-instate your life to a calm, sedate pace. (When is life ever calm and sedate? Point taken. So maybe not calm and sedate but at least manageable.) And then once it seems that you can take a breath (maybe on a Sunday afternoon), then life starts all over again.

It's in those hectic moments that I think we often lose sight of God. Things start to crowd out our vision. We start to let our circumstances dictate when and how often we spend time with God instead of remembering that every moment is an opportunity to talk with and relate with Him.

I'm really tempted to do that right now. Life is busy. It's awesome being home, but relationships, work, and various events try to command my attention.

I feel like Jesus constantly has to say to me "Martha, Martha" (although He tends to substitute my name in for Martha). Mary was commended, not for her business, but her devotion to Christ. I'm sure she was plenty busy at times. Yet she didn't let that crowd out her time with Jesus.

Hmmmmm...

Am I, like Mary, choosing the better thing? Am I choosing to spend time at Jesus' feet?


A funny quote from today (that has nothing to do with the above):
Olivia and I were arm wrestling, and I beat her. She kind of laughs and then says, "Let's wrestle again!"
To which I respond, "Sure, if you want to get beat again."
She laughs, then rubs her arm and says seriously, "Give me just a second. I think my veins got trampled on that last time."

How does one trample on veins??? Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment