Friday, July 12, 2013

There's Nothing like a Sister

It's always such an incredible blessing to be back home, even if it's for a short time. It's so nice to be somewhere familiar, somewhere where you've spent most of your growing up years. I have to admit, I'm a Georgia girl through and through. No matter where I go in life, I know Georgia will always feel like home when I come back to visit.

It's been strange seeing my sister, Olivia, again. My other sisters are on a mission trip with my church to Nicaragua, so I've been able to spend some time with just Olivia. The last time I saw her, she was still a little girl. Now, she's almost as tall as I am, and she's starting to sound like my other sisters. I can't believe she's going to be 14 this September. I'm realizing more and more how much I miss seeing her grow up. I most likely won't get to see her graduate from high school. It's crazy how fast time flies. I remember when we first adopted her, and how she always had the cutest little potbelly as a baby. She probably won't appreciate me mentioning that, but it was really adorable!

The same goes for Marissa. It seems like just yesterday that I remember my parents announcing that we were going to have a new little sister. I remember the thrill of holding her tiny little form in my arms. I wanted to keep her there and never let her go. I remember asking my mom when she could play with us (of course, that's the only thing that matters to an energetic five-year-old). My mom had to gently remind me that Marissa was still a baby, and she wouldn't be able to play with us for a while yet. But let me tell you, when she started walking, she was on the move! Constantly. It was sometimes all we could do to keep her sitting still. And I think it was sometime around there that we gave her the affectionate nickname "Rissy", because, obviously, Marissa is too long of a name for a little girl. And somehow, even though she's not a little girl any more, the name has stuck. I think it'll stick for a long time.

And Cari. Wow, where would I be without her? The sister who I've laughed with, cried with, fought with, and played with since I was one and a half. My mom has videos of me and her together, both of us in diapers because I wanted to be just like my baby sister. Not the most flattering memory, but still pretty cute (if I say so myself). I don't remember much of our early years, but I remember she was always there for me. We did pretty much everything together. And then I grew up. I started blazing my own trail, my own way into the adult world. There are times when I still wish that we could travel it together. But I know that her path will look different than mine. I know that I will always miss that companionship.

It's going to be a great month, getting to hang out with these three girls who are fast becoming women. I'm excited! I treasure these days, because I know that I will desperately miss them in the years to come when I'm on the mission field and so, so far away.

I'm reminded of the quote that says "In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips."

Yup, it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment