Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Love Is

I've been working on this post for a while now, because it's been on my mind. I've seen God work in so many ways over the past few months, and yet I've also seen so many times where it's all I can do to keep from sobbing uncontrollably all day long.

When I feel pain, that's when doubts creep in. Is God really loving? Is He really faithful? Is He really true?

I know the answer is yes. A thousand times yes!

So what is love? What is it, really?

Love is...
   ...shooting stars in the night sky
   ...a stunning sunset over mountains
   ...a hummingbird
   ...the delicate petals of a rose
   ...the voice of the man you love
   ...the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven
   ...the smile of a baby and the softness of his hair
   ...the laughter of children
   ...cool breezes in the summer evenings
   ...green, blue, brown. colors of the earth
   ...thunderstorms and rain
   ...the glorious roar of ocean waves on the shore
   ...days that make you love life
   ...God

And love is...
   ...pain - physical, spiritual, emotional, and mental
   ...heartache in every form
   ...sorrows that make your soul numb
   ...days that make you long for Heaven
   ...tears that flood your pillow at night
   ...a cross on which a sinless man died for the world
   ...God

How is that possible? How can God be loving in good times and in painful times? I don't claim to understand.

I only know that God is love. All the time. In everything we see and experience around us, He is love. And I can trust in that and rest in that, no matter how hard things get. Sure, I may be experiencing incredible pain. But He is there with me, every step of the way. He will never leave me. Ever.

God is love.

What a divine mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment