Thursday, August 1, 2013

It's hard to believe today is August 1. It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating the new year, and now it's almost over. This summer has been one of the coolest I've ever experienced during my 20 years of living in Georgia, and it's quite a blessing for a change. But it also makes it difficult to do anything fun outdoors because with the cool weather has come an enormous wave of rain storms. It's rained almost every afternoon that I've been here. It's not unusual for north Georgia to get a lot of rain, especially in the summer. Apparently, we live in the second rainiest place in the continental US after the northwest coast. Go figure.

Last night, we had the biggest thunderstorm I've seen in 10 years here. It rained HARD! Tiny creeks were roaring rivers this morning, and a lot of flash flooding occurred in our area. I guess the storm was big enough that the news channels were even sending camera crews to our town to capture footage. We were out of power for almost the entire day here, and several roads were even washed out due to streams and rivers overflowing their banks. Thankfully, not a lot was damaged that I know of, and everyone is still able to get where they need to go. But still, quite an experience for my last week here!

August not only means a lot of heat (usually...), but it also means the start of school. Classes at MTC start August 19, and I'm really excited to get back into life there! Going to PNG this summer has made me even more excited to finish training and get on the field so I can start the process of heading overseas full time!

August also means that I'll be heading out to Oregon very soon to visit Clint and his family. I'm really excited about getting to see him again! We've been apart all summer, which has been really difficult, but we're discovering how incredibly grateful we are to the inventors of Skype and cell phone service! It will be so good to be back together and get to meet his family as well.

So, all that to say, I'm enjoying my last few days here in Georgia, rainy though they may be. I'd definitely appreciate prayers as I prepare to head out to Oregon, and from there back to Missouri for my final semester of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment