Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Week at MTC

It's been so good to be back at MTC. I had no idea how much I missed this place. I have a schedule again, which has been so incredibly good. That's one thing I learned over this summer: I work best with a steady, predictable schedule. It's ok if there's a bit of variance within it, but at least I know what to expect next. So that's definitely been a blessing to have back.

An example of the assignments we had for phonemics
Our first week of classes was busy because we had a bunch of re-orientation stuff to do during the afternoons. But the classes have been good so far. We had a 12 hour class called Phonemics for our first few days. It's basically how to understand a language from an insider's perspective instead of an outsider's. It helps you figure out the very depths of a language so that you can analyze it, develop an alphabet and grammatical structure, and teach the people how to read and write their own language. A lot of work for sure!

This past weekened, a bunch of the students from MTC went on a canoe trip down a 9 mile river. It was a lot of fun! Unfortunately, I don't have any pics, but it was so relaxing to get away from campus and just enjoy God's creation.

Today, we finish up a class called "Literacy". We've had that class for the past 3 class days, and it's been a ton of fun! We're learning how to develop primers so that we can teach people how to read and write their own language. We each got to make our own 12-page primer with English words (written phonetically, so you wouldn't know what they said), and it was a ton of fun!!!

All in all, it's been good to be back, but there are still a lot of things that I could use prayer for. I feel like Satan is trying to really discourage and attack me right now in a lot of little ways, including the fact that I picked up a cold somewhere recently. So if you could pray for strength and protection, that would be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment